Monday, April 20, 2009

It's been a LONG time comin'...

After 13 years of marriage we decided to call it quits...and GIVE UP RENTING! The house hunting process is not for sissies, as those of you who have been through this know. Alas, the right house and a killer deal came along.

We had been searching for houses all over the DC metro area. It was so frustrating because nothing gave us that "hallelujah" moment. No area, no house, there were all just okay, but didn't seem right. Finally, we started to explore (Thanks to the Thomas' !) an area that was quite a bit further out than we had previously wanted to look. At first I thought Spencer was crazy. This area is along the VRE (a train that commutes into DC) and would allow Spencer to commute without a car. The commute is about 1/2 hour each way longer than he has right now. Of course this means we see Daddy 1 hour less per day, but we are working out a schedule that will have Spencer gone earlier in the morning and home for dinner. Cross your fingers for us on this one. When we went out the first time I really liked the area, but was still apprehensive about the commute.

As we researched and looked at the houses out there we realized pretty quickly that this area was what our realtor, Steve, referred to as "The Wild West". There were tons of short sales and forclosed homes and people have figured that out. The market out there is hoppin' because of this. We lost out on a couple of houses that we put offers in on because of better offers. One house we tried had 22 offers in one weekend, no kidding! What in the world? As this process drug along we began to get really frustrated. Finally, one Friday morning Spencer called me from work and told me that he had emailed me a new house that had gone on the market and thought we should put an offer on it. So three hours later the offer was signed and to the bank. Here's the crazy part...we hadn't even seen the house yet (in person)! So that Sunday we drove by the house. As we pulled up I think it actually called out to us! Both of us fell in love with it. We were hoping the stars had finally aligned for us. We found the house hours after it had been advertised, got an offer in ASAP to a bank that promised a quick response, and then it rained all weekend. Monday morning Steve called to tell us the good news, our offer had been accepted over 3 others! WOOHOO! I couldn't believe it.

To make a long, dramatic story short, we closed on Thursday, but not before a lot of anxiety related to lenders and title companies....grrrrr! So now we have the keys and spent the weekend out cleaning and moving things. We met most of the neighborhood within 15 minutes. Talk about welcoming! Everyone is so friendly I was briefly reminded of The Stepford Wives :) On Saturday our neighbor across the street brought over a tray of Baklava and Bird's Nests. YUM!

We will slowly move in over the next couple of months so that the kids' can finish out the school year.





WELCOME TO
9651 Culloden Ct., Bristow, VA 20136






PLEASE COME VISIT US ANYTIME:)

11 comments:

The Meaghers said...

Bassett's-
The house is beautiful! Congratulations. We are really excited for you and your upcoming move. We will miss you and wish you all the best!
-The Meaghers

Karla said...

Culloden (pronounced: Cool-o-den with the emphasis on the long “o”) is a Scottish battle field in the north of Scotland, very famous battle in 1745. I think it is a good sigh that this place has a tie to Scotland :) Hopefully no famous battles will range at 9651 Culloden . . .

Congrats!

amy greenway said...

Love it! It's wonderful! You are going to go from having one cupboard for everything to having only one thing in each cupboard. I'm so happy for you!

-Special Mothertivity- said...

It is so beautiful! I am so thrilled for your whole family! I just remember us talking and you saying how badly you wanted a house of your own. Well, looks like it was worth the wait! Congratulations!! I hope we will be able to come visit some time soon.

tarryn said...

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Tiff and Kyle said...

I am so exited for you to have a place of your own. You can it any color you want and don't have to worry about holes in the walls.
I am so excited for a visit....
really when would be good.

EFN Newsletter said...

Heather, it's beautiful! I love it and I'm so excited for you guys. Congratulations!

Sassy said...

holy schnykies. i need more pictures.

Crazyloca said...

love it...can't wait to get the tour!!

Goat said...

Wow! What a beautiful place!

Rick and Arlene said...

Gorgeous house guys!... Good luck.