Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ahh....Success...

Alas, the much anticipated Bilateral Cochlear Implant for Myah was received with relief and gratitude. Friday morning Myah showed bravery, courage and maturity many times. She fasted like a champ, had an iv put in without flinching (she HATES needles), walked into the OR and nervously hopped onto the operating table while hospital staff whizzed around her. They seemed to be making Myah dizzy. Her sweet little face looked as though she might run out of the room at any moment, but she didn't. She pushed through and sucked in that sleeping gas like an old pro :) I had the pleasure of accompanying Myah into the OR and stayed with her until she was asleep. It is almost frightening to see how quickly the sedation and anestetic medicines work. I have experienced it myself, but have never watched someone else experience it. Myah was told to count backwards from 100 and take deep breaths. She said "I can't" and I told her, "That's okay, just count in your head and take deep breaths" and her eyes were closed by the time I finished that sentence! Freaky. And so I gave Myah a kiss and headed out.
Then the wait. It is always difficult to keep yourslef preoccupied when you have a loved one in surgery. I should be used to it by now, this being our third time through with CI surgery, but I still couldn't concentrate on my book. Finally, the Dr. came out told us that things went smoothly and that they had to work very slowly and carefully because Myah's facial nerve was extremely close to the area in which they were working and they didn't want to sever it. Twenty minutes later Myah was in post-op and Spencer and I sat with her until she woke up. When she woke she was given the "silver spoon" treatment and got to eat 2 popsicles which she thoroughly enjoyed. The surgeons came around one by one and checked Myah to make sure she could move the right side of her face. They were relieved to see both corners of her mouth turn up to smile at them and thank them. Whew!
See Myah's ear! She has purple marker on it so that no one would forget which ear needed to be implanted. Myah, Mom and Dad were asked several times, which ear was being operated on that day! Guess they gotta cover their butts!
Here's Myah in post-op. She was totally sacked out, which is a good thing. Before she went into the OR she told the nurses that she was afraid she would wake up in the middle of her surgery:) I am sure many, many people have shared that same fear!!! Way to go, Anestesia Team, Myah's glad you payed attention in school!


Myah lovin' her some orange popsicle! She hadn't eaten in 18 hours by that point in the day. She requested Burger King once we got in the car to ride home. With caution we let her have a 4 piece chicken tender, hoping she would hurl them all once she had consumed them (she did good!).


Myah's hospital pampering included a trip to the car in a perfectly sized wheelchair! She felt so important:)


Today (Sunday) we took off the bandage and cleaned up her ear and incision. She has a pretty sweet haircut, but it will be hidden very easily. The Dr.'s I am sure were mindful of the vanity of a beautiful red-headed 10 yr. old!
And now here we are. After her incision is healed up she will make another trip to Hopkins for "activation" where they will turn on her external device and she will begin to learn how to hear all over again with another ear. There will be some more rehab, but hopefully, she will pick up quick. So don't forget the occasional prayer for Myah's second succesful CI!
We appreciate so greatly all of the nice thoughts and gestures our family and friends have made toward our family during this process. We give thanks for you all in our prayers each day. What a lonely world it would be without the support and friendship you have shown. Thank you.

9 comments:

-Special Mothertivity- said...

What a relief! Good job Myah! I am so grateful she was able to have this surgery done. We are so glad everything went well! Love you lots! :)

Some of the pictures didn't load. Maybe its just my computer. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Sandy Baur said...

I am so happy for you and sooo very proud of Myah! (she has the makings of a good Marine!)

Jamica said...

What a blessing for Myah, not only to have the surgery, but to have parents who fight so hard for her! I am proud of her and you guys! Good luck with recovery..... keep us posted!

Kathleen Cutler said...

Wow!! You had me running out of the hospital room! How brave!! We hope all goes well, we love you guys!

Tiff and Kyle said...

Myah... We are just so proud of you and your bravery. You were in our thoughts and prayers all weekend. We just love you so very much. We'll keep you in our prayers.

Linda said...

MYAH We are all so proud of you for being so brave through the surgery. We think of you often and are very glad we get to be your grandparents. Then the parents......wow, I am amazed at they was you fight like a tiger as an advocate of what is best for all your children. Lucky kids!

H&HJohnsen said...

I am soo happy that everything went well. What an ordeal. We will be praying for Myah that everything will continue to go well. We are coming out to D.C. in May and hope we can see you guys. Miss you all!! Heather

marc said...

Glad it went well. Thank goodness for modern medicine!

Crazyloca said...

how exciting...i had no idea. heather...you neglected to tell me this big news when we talked! congrats to myah...