Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Snow piles up, paralyzing nation's capital" -AP

Well first of all, let me remind you that I am a Wyoming boy who grew-up shoveling the driveway in shorts and Sorrel Caribous (at least until we got a snow blower). I am one who scoffs at "east coast storms." Further, while living in Syracuse, New York, I would grow frustrated with the weatherman, who would often use words like "lake-effect," "white-out condition," and "blizzard" as if they were mere adjectives.


With that background, believe me when I say that this is actually a pretty good storm. My scientific measuring tape has us at over 20 inches of snow (mostly a packed wet snow). When we retired last night we had about 9-10 inches, and then this morning (around 9:00) we had an additional 10 inches.


LOVE-IT!


But, I have now grown tired of shoveling my driveway every two hours, just to keep a handle on it. I am for sure buying a snow blower next spring off of craigslist :) The 100 yards of sidewalk is, well- frankly kinda crappy to shovel....


here are some pics of the storm results.




note the trees in the background. These suckers are at half height due to the weight of the snow. As I was shoveling the driveway (for the tenth time...) I could hear them cracking under the weight.


Wrong day to park on the street. When the plows start moving this snow, this guy will need to rent a car until spring.

here is our neighbor shoveling his driveway (for scale- he is a little shorter than me).


here are the kiddos playin in the snow.


kiddos posing by the house lamp.


sure are cute kids...


snow....

more snow....

still snowing.....

yup, still snow :)












1 comment:

tarryn said...

This snow is AWESOME. Love the pictures! We were so bummed up here when our big storm didn't pan out to be more than a few inches. But the kids got out of a half day of school and YW was cancelled, so it was still a good day! Oops - did I say that out loud?